Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thunder Cookies

Every spring/summer when those wonderfully exciting thunder storms come around I get an urge to bake cookie! Well, I decided to incorporate this into my children's lives. Ever since Katrina was little, when a thunder storm came rolling by we'd don our aprons and bake cookie (and Seth was the grateful recipient! :). This was something fun to do, but in all honesty I really wanted to train my children to not be scared of thunder! When the wall-shaking claps of booming thunder were heard, I'd smile and clap my hands saying excitedly that we should make cookies. I don't know if my children would be like this anyway or if I successfully conditioned them to not be frightened of thunder, but it has never bothered them - not even when it was time to go to sleep and a storm was raging outside.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I try very hard to think ahead on things that could frighten Elyana, and beat them head-on. This is a great example not only to teach them not to fear, but instead to completely turn the focus onto something fun! They will never forget this tradition! I hope you know I FULLY intend on copying you on this!

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Oh, I know you do, Denise. You were the one who told me about splashing Elyana with water while you gave her a bath so she'd get used to water in her face. I did that with Michael and he thinks it's funny! If only I had thought of that earlier - it would have saved me literally years of my girls screaming when I had to wash their hair! (Shiona still cries when the water gets in her eyes and ears, but what's a mother to do?) You're a terrific example and I love learning from you!