Monday, October 26, 2009

Bragging Rights

I don't think we realize how much it can bless someone if they hear us bragging about them to others. I try to always recount to Seth the accomplishments and good deeds done by the children when they are listening or at least within ear shot. Also, even though Seth gets embarrassed, I think it means a lot to him when I brag about him to others, especially since one of his love languages is words of affirmation. It also can set their mind at ease and know we are not going behind their backs and complaining about their faults and disclosing their failures, but rather reverencing our husbands and extolling their good points. So, I guess my tip for the day is to try to brag on your husband and children to others while they can hear it!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

It's interesting you said this because my parents have always been very particular about praising us in private. I think my mom in particular was afraid we might get "a big head" if we were praised in public. She was always one to brush off compliments and make sure we kept humble. But I recently heard a speaker say that praising in public was a big deal for men so I'm sure it made Seth feel very special. :)

lislynn said...

Ah yes, this is one of my favorites :) And I like to brag even when they aren't listening in! It's just a good habit to get into-- to build up your husband and children with your words.

Dana said...

I totally agree with this, though I often forget to praise my husband in public. Thanks for this blog it is a good reminder that our men need encouragement too!

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Catherine,
I can understand where you mother is coming from in being afraid of children getting prideful, but I think there is a balance and it is also important for the children to know they are doing well and are pleasing their parents. I guess I'd rather teach my children to be able to handle compliments and not let it go to their heads then to not give them praise, especially in front of their daddy. However, every mother knows their own children best and knows what is best for them. Your mother did a great job raising you! :)

Lisi,

You're so right - it should be a habit with us!

Dana,
I don't always seize the opportunity to praise my husband in public either. I really get a lot of my ideas by watching my husband. He is always praising me in public! :)