Thursday, November 12, 2009

Handicap Helper

I was in the store the other day and noticed an elderly lady in front of me in one of those motorized chairs. She looked like she wanted something from a shelf that was higher than she could reach. Uncharacteristically of me (Wow! I just realized how long of a word that is! Isn't it like 20 letters? Gracious!) *ahem* Anyways, as I was saying, I offered my assistance to her. She actually was just trying to decide on what she wanted and didn't need my help.

But this scenario got me thinking. I wonder why I am so shy to help those around me, especially the needy ones. We've grown up in a society where anything that is not "normal" should not be made an issue for fear of hurting someone's feelings. I guess that has paralyzed me in many respects in offering my help to those who are handicapped. I'm afraid they will be insulted that I offered or even insinuated that they were not capable of doing things themselves, when the truth is - they can't!

I've actually noticed that most handicapped people really appreciate a helping hand and don't seem to have any qualms about asking for assistance when they need it. So what is this ridiculous feeling of being embarrassed to help out? I don't know, but I've just realized I need to get over it if I am going to be a witness and show love to my "neighbor". Also, it made me think I am being an example to my children. If I am awkward and/or callous to those around me who need my help, I am sending a message about those types of people to my children. And since I was just talking to the girls about the Good Samaratine (sp?) I figured I better start now. After all, more is caught than taught!

4 comments:

lislynn said...

I have the same problem of awkwardness around those who are "different"-- wanting to help and yet afraid to offend by pointing out a need... I post about this a little while back. Judah embarrassed me dreadfully on this one one day....

Hosanna said...

One time, I was at Wal Mart, visiting the restroom. There were about 6 people in line, including me. There was an elderly lady with a walker first in line. Well when she went to try to get in the stall, she was having difficulty. I was further behind in line, and only somewhat aware of what was going on; when in frustration she said:
"Won't someone please HELP ME?"
I thought, "Well, the woman behind her in line will step up."
Wrong. The woman called again -
"Please, will someone help me?"
I didn't wait for her to ask a third time. I was compelled to break the line and assist the woman.
Yes, maybe it is embarassing and "gross" to help someone else use the toilet; and I am sure the poor lady was embarassed about asking.
She told me that she had ridden a bus or a van with all elderly men for this shopping trip; there was no female attendant to help her.
I wondered later about the other women in line; and why they didn't step up to help her. Not that they are "Bad" women; but what goes through a person's mind at a time like that?
I think it has a lot to do with how a person is raised. I was brought up to have a servant's attitude; and that in serving others, (in this case, strangers in need) I am serving Christ.
Not to "toot my own horn" or anything. I just thought I'd share that.

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Lisi,

Yeah, I read about your experience with Judah - hilarious! Aren't kids so wonderfully naive to our ideas of social correctness?

Hosanna,
Wow. I can't imagine that poor lady calling for help. What on earth would have happened had you not been there? I'm just as surprised as you are about how some people are not willing to help those in need. I have to wonder with you, "What in the world are those people thinking?" I guess, like you mentioned, we were raised that certain things just are non optional and ignoring someone who is asking for help just isn't an option. I'm so glad you were there not only for the lady, but as an example to others. A young lady offering to help an elder use the toilet is a rare sight indeed!

Denise said...

I know I have been afraid to assist the handicapped. The elderly? No problem. But a handicapped person to me is someone I'm unsure of how much they want help or how much it would insult. But, like you, I need to just step up. What's the worse that could happen? I insult them when I meant to bless. An apology and kind word would go a long way in rectifying that.
Hosanna, I am so glad you shared that. I think it's easy to assume we all would answer a call to help - but when the time comes, the truth is sometimes we are the ONLY one. I'm so glad this lady did not have to be alone with her cries for help. It reminds me how when me wallet was stolen (Wal-Mart), and I cried out seconds after it was taken "Someone help me, these guys took my wallet" and literally 12 people nervously looked away and ignored me. ONE man helped.

We should all be those ONE women.