Sunday, November 1, 2009

Promises, promises

This past week I found myself doing the, "mommy will do that later" thing with my children. They were constantly asking me to fix this or find that at inconvenient times like while I was nursing Michael or doing dishes. By the end of the week I had accumulated quite a few unfulfilled promises. It came together when I realized Shiona hadn't been playing with her favorite dolly for several days because I hadn't found and replaced the dolly's arm. (I kid you not.) I saw that the past week had been filled with times I had not kept my word to them. And to be painfully honest, some of those promises I made were just said to make them stop nagging me and I secretly hoped they'd forget! What am I teaching my kids by my actions? Oh, so many wrong things - like Mommy can't be counted on to remember or keep her word and that their little wants and needs aren't improtant to me. How this brings tears to my eyes! Our word should be as good as if we swore an oath. Our yes should be yes and our no, no. I went and spent the other evening trying to fulfill all the past promises of fixing arms, playing Candy Land and sewing up holes for my little treasures. I want them to remember their mommy as one who took their little troubles and problems to heart and showed love through my actions. :)

3 comments:

Denise said...

Oh Karen, this really rings true with me. No, I've not done that to my daughter yet, but I have done this with other people in my life. I am convicted! Thank you for this. It's really right. I'm so glad you spend an evening for all the saved up promises... That reminds me of a post. I'll write it on here, if you don't mind. Once I actually get going!

Haley said...

GREAT advice, Karen!I can't tell you how many times I've done this to someone, intentionally or unintentionally!

Catherine said...

I have really found myself doing this a lot lately. (And I didn't even realize it!) Especially when I'm babysitting. When there are multiple children who always want to do different things it is hard sometimes to keep it peaceful. Often I will say, "We can go to the playground later" or if they want me to do something I'll say "Let me finish doing this first and then I'll help you with that" but then I'll get distracted or forget! I didn't even think about it until I read this blogpost. Thank you thank you, Karen!!!