Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Humility in Correction

Any sibling reading this can attest to the fact that I am not very good at taking correction. Once correction begins, I am on the opposite side beginning my (very logical) defense. Humility barely peeps it's head, if it makes an entrance at all. Now, I don't come out with a disrespectful tone or look all the time, but my heart is unreceptive because I am too busy making a defense for myself. My husband just noted that yesterday, and we traced my oldest daughter's difficulty in receiving rebukes to my example. This was very sad for me. I realized I am always unconsciously setting the example for my children and this is definitely one area that needs fixin! I ask my husband to please help me as I try to receive with humility things that need changing in my life. So, step one has been taken and thus begins the fight for meekness and humility to grow in my life and let die my foolish pride. Thoughts, tips, prayers...and accountability are welcome.

5 comments:

Kristen + Scot said...

ouch! This one I need... and the last one!!

Denise said...

I'm glad you brought this up now. I really had not given thought to how Elyana will receive correction based on how I do.
What I found is that if the correction is given in a very loving humble way, I receive it really well. But if I sense any impatience, frustration, basically any human emotion Jesus wouldn't have had, the pride inside me starts immediately to want to respond badly. The best I can do right now if just quietly receive it, but what I WANT is a heartfelt receiving of it and thanks for it.

Dana said...

I believe every human on earth struggles with humility. It is our nature (sinful as it may be) to get defensive when someone points out our faults. Many times when my husband tries to approach me about my attitude or the way I have come across to someone, I have an inner lion that wants to pounce on him. The gentle and quiet spirit flies out of the window. I have to stay in constant communion with Christ so that I can stay loving and respectful to my husband. God has really given me alot of lessons on being quiet and listening. I don't have to be right all the time, and if I am, what have I won? I admire your willingness to admit when you're struggling. If we all did that, we would all struggle a bit less I think.

Susannah Forshey said...

Oh, Karen, I hear you on this one. I know exactly what you mean, you have painted a clear picture (uncomfortably clear) of what I do, as well, when confronted by something I've done (or haven't done). My mind is instantly busy with my own defense, even if I know very well I have shirked my duties from sheer laziness or some other vice. :( Thanks for your honesty on this one!

Seth and Karen's blog said...

It reminds me of the verse in Proverbs about the wise man loving correction. It takes wisdom and humility.

So true, Denise, that it is much easier to receive when the person correcting is in the right attitude and I agree that instead of quietly receiving we should really make our hearts grateful and receptive.

Dana, so nice to see you visit my blog! Thanks for the comment. I think you're right that communion with Christ is the key to having that meek and quiet spirit that we all need to be able to receive correction.

Susi, it is so true that we instinctively know our fault in a matter, yet attempt to cover it over to ourselves and others.

Thanks for everyone's input!