Friday, November 20, 2009

Romantic Atmosphere

Burning a scented candle and playing some peaceful music before your husband comes home will really help set the atmosphere for a stress-free evening. Imagine him coming home and feeling the warmth of a fire or woodstove, smelling the aroma of homemade dinner and spiced candles, sensing of peace as the children (hopefully) are playing quietly while music is streaming through the house and seeing you looking fresh and greeting him with a happy smile and loving kiss. That really infuses all the 5 senses, doesn't it? Wouldn't that just bless the man? Many of you are probably far better than I at keeping a peaceful and romantic atmosphere and remembering the little things like candles and music. It is something I am inspired to do more regularly when the evenings get darker earlier and the cold weather begins to set in. I just want to make it a cozy little place for my husband to feel welcomed and at peace.

It can't always be like that. Sometimes Seth comes home to fussing children, a disheveled wife in dirty exercise clothes, dinner unmade and toys strewn every which way. In those circumstances I still try to be sensitive to not greet him with a list of complaints and things that need to get done or fixed. (Which is rare because he is always on top of things that need fixing.) Rather I might put on a smile or simply laugh at the commotion and greet him with a kiss that says, "I'm sorry it's like this, but I'm glad you're home."

Still, I need to make an effort to stay on top of things and try to make his home a place he feels he can enjoy and rest. Little things like a cup of warm tea or a prepared bath waiting for him tell him I'm thinking of him and love him. It takes planning and a little more work, but I love to bless him!

3 comments:

Dana said...

I think that is so admirable of you. I would love to also create the same atmosphere for my home. It takes a bit more work for me since I also have to work full time but I could still manage it. I would love to stay at home and raise my children but right now my husband feels it is best that I keep my job. Honestly, I'm happy either way. Having both is possible, just takes extra planning!

Catherine said...

I have to admit--I love daylight savings because it means we can start having candlelit dinners!!! I love preparing a special meal for dad, setting it on our dark red table cloth, and turning off all the lights to enjoy a candlelit dinner. :) There's just something so special about it.

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Dana,

I have the utmost respect for any working mother - especially pregnant ones. :) I honestly can't imagine all the added stress in working, keeping house, taking care of children and cooking. Women like you amaze me. I think it is wonderful you have such a content spirit that you are happy either way especially since your husband thinks it best to work right now. The fact that you are still willing to put in even more effort to make your house a home is an inspiration to all of us. Thanks for your comment!

Catherine,

You truly have a heart to serve your dad. He must be so blessed by your desire to please him. What a beautiful, loving wife you will make some lucky man one day!