Thursday, December 17, 2009

Asking Forgiveness

I think it is important for children to see our personal walks with the Lord reflected in our daily lives. If we have struggles that are appropriate to share with them we can ask them to help us by reminding us. It also goes for when we fail - especially in front of or towards them. I think it is important to ask their forgiveness and explain what we did wrong, why it wasn't pleasing to the Lord and what we should have done. I usually go through these steps with my children when they have sinned. I asked them what they did wrong, why it wasn't pleasing to the Lord (using scripture, usually) and what they should have done instead. I often help them with the "correct" answers, but provide time for them to reply with their own ideas first. Anyway, if I've lost my temper, or been disrespectful to their Daddy or something else, not only does the offended person deserve an apology, but I try to apologize to the children for my bad example and explain everything to them. This, I hope, will be an example for them in the future to be able to apply to themselves without my needed intervention.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Karen,

This is a wonderful idea. I believe most people have a difficult time apologizing when they have done something wrong. They would prefer to ignore it and let time soften the blow. Teaching our children at a young age to be forgiving and to ask for forgiveness is such a gift to them. They won't realize it now but, it will be something they won't have to struggle with as much when they are older if the character trait is instilled in them now.

Denise said...

My parents lead the way in my understanding of the fact that when you are an adult, that does not mean you can act any way you please, and just let it slide if you're in the wrong. It's so good for us to apologize to/in front of our children, sibling, etc when they have been witnessing or the recipient of our misbehavior. Thanks!