Saturday, October 10, 2009

Giving the Children Room to Choose

I can be very vain and concerned with other people's opinions of myself - especially concerning my children. As my children get older and begin to enjoy more independence they like to choose their own clothing. Sometimes the choices don't match or look shabby. However, depending on the circumstance I will swallow my pride and allow them to trapes around in their little outfits despite them looking not-so-cute. I know especially at Katrina's age she loves being allowed freedoms like that and now she comes to me for advice if things match (sometimes.) :)

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I remember loving to wear my favorite outfits when I was little. Looking back, some of them were pretty hideous combinations but it was fun to wear my favorite clothes. I had a few select shirts or pants that I would wear over and over again.

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Catherine,

I remember several of those kind-of outfits I was attached to when I was younger. God bless our mother's kind hearts! Thanks for your comment!

lislynn said...

Oh my! J convicted me on this one when Sofi was around 4. *sigh* My friends here can attest that I have, at last, given up that measure of unnecessary control. She wore bright pink leggings and sneakers under her white skirt to church yesterday :)

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Lisi, you are far beyond me! I still haven't relinquished control when it comes to church or special events, but we do "collaborate" together to see what she would like from what I would allow! Eventually that, too, must be handed over to her! You're a great example to remember when the time comes!

Denise said...

I really appreciate all your wisdom on this ladies! I know I will need to do this as well. My mother did such a great job giving us freedom to have individual tastes, and I want to give that gift to my daughter. I am glad to know that as the years of that time come, I will have you all to go to for advice!